Monday, November 26, 2007

Seasons of Life

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to seek, and a time to lose;
A time to keep, and a time to throw away;
A time to tear, and a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate;
A time for war, and a time for peace.

~ Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

I have been thinking about these words the last few days. As the seasons change, I already find myself longing for summer. But now is not that time- now is the time for the earth to rest. I tend to be one who always looks on the bright side and has a hard time staying in the darkness. But the darkness, even though it is hard to endure, makes the light even more precious and beautiful. I still wish it was summer though!

As we as Christians start to prepare for the birth of Jesus the Messiah, I am beginning to plan for Lent, the time when we prepare for Jesus death. A time to be born, a time to die. And as my community mourns the tragic loss of young life, I weep and wait for the laughter to come. In the bible it also says, "weeping may spend the night, but joy comes in the morning." (I think it's in Isaiah, or Psalms)

It's getting dark outside my window as I type this (it's 4:13 pm). I hate when it gets dark early! But there is a beautiful pink sky, and there are kids playing in the grass outside my window. In the darkness and in the cold, beauty is still found. In our grief, we can still find joy. Our tears can lead to laughter. And, because of the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus, there is life again after death.

I pray that you seek whatever it is you have lost. I pray that you plant and nourish seeds of faith and that you reap the benefits of spiritual fruit. I pray that your tears of mourning turn into tears of joy. I pray that we all have challenges, but also the strength and the support to endure them. I pray for a time of peace.

No comments: