Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hard Times

I've been trying to decide all day what to write about. I've been looking through some of my favorite books for inspiration. I didn't find anything that struck me today. But here's what's on my mind...

I'm thinking about the people at Grace. There are so many wonderful people here. I've gotten to know some of you, but I am still learning names. Sunday mornings fly by with so much going on, there's never enough time to talk. I hope you know you are always welcome to make an appointment to come and talk with me. And I'm happy to meet you somewhere too- for a walk or coffee or a trip to the dog park! People (aka YOU) are the reason I wanted to be a pastor in the first place- because I love sharing the love of God with you. It is such a joy and a privilege to be able to do that finally- after all those years of seminary! :)

One of the hard parts about loving people is that when they hurt, you hurt. There are a lot of people at Grace right now going through some heart-breaking hurts. I don't know why these things happen. There are certainly no easy answers.

But one thing I really do believe is that God takes all the bad things that happen in our lives and somehow makes something good out of them. I don't think I believe that God causes these things to happen, but I do think that whatever good comes out of them comes from God. It can be so hard to see God working in the midst of our tragedies, but if God is who he says he is, God will be there- shining a light in the darkness, making the crooked paths straight, and bringing life out of death.

The Bible can be a great companion- reading the Psalms is a great help to me when I'm angry and sad. They contain some wrenching, honest cries to God as well as praises. (Psalms 22, 46 and 61 are good examples). I leave you with some words from Romans 8, and a prayer for God's presence in your times of joy and pain.

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saint according to the will of God. We know that all things work together for good, for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose..."

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi Pastor Heidi,

Now that I've found your blog site, I will check in from time to time.
I have a blog on this site for my computer class (technology articles), but I think they are locked and not available to everyone.
Sandi

dsz said...

Hi Pastor Heidi;
Yes there are many in our congregation, as well as friends and relatives of members who are going through some tremendous trials. And it hurts.
The wonderful thing, however, is that they do not go through their trials alone. The wonderful thing is the caring, reaching out and praying that comes from within Grace Lutheran.
It was evident from our first visit to this Church. This is a "Church Family."
While we have Stephen Ministry available to provide care giving, it is the prayers, the hugs and the tears that reach out from this congregation to all that are hurting that ensures that no one walks alone.
We are very blessed to be a part of Grace Lutheran Church.