Monday, November 19, 2007

Unexpected Joy

Yesterday was a very busy day. Of course there was church in the morning, but before church the fire alarm went off in my building, so that added an extra splash of excitement. We had communion during the service which I always enjoy because 1) I love receiving communion and 2) I love giving communion! I am always so amazed as I look at each of you and say "The Body of Christ, given for you"- I think about God looking at each of you and how much God loves you and how important each and every one of us is to God, and I'm amazed!

High School class inbetween services was fun- we learned about Esther (check out the book in the Old Testament- it's pretty short) by watching VeggieTales and talking about courage. Lots of goofiness and chatter abounded as usual.

As I wrote in my last blog, there are lots of heavy things going on with many people here at Grace. I felt that heaviness again on Sunday, but was again amazed to see how the people of Grace care for each other in these times.

In the afternoon I had my 9th Grade confirmation students, who always keep me on my toes! So many questions, so much energy, and lots of pushing boundaries. There are some really great thinkers in that group.

Then I ran from that to the Seder Dinner with the First Communion students and their families. Wow! That was a really cool experience. The Seder Dinner is also known as the Passover Meal- the same meal that Jesus shared with his disciples on the night before his death, the basis for communion. This is quite a production and all the families pitched in to make it a success.

I was expecting to be exhausted at the end of the day, but instead when I got into my car to go home after a 12 hour day, I was filled with joy. The kind of joy that I know has to come from God because it's not anything I can ever feel of my own accord. It bubbled up unexpectedly and I was giddy all night. Yeah, I did go to bed early, but with a smile on my face and so much thanks in my heart for the God who gave me this joy, who gives us the blessings of his body and blood, and awesome people of all ages in this congregation who love God and want to learn and grow in their faith.

When are times you have felt that unexpected joy? Have you ever felt that God is with you? What did that feel like? What were you doing?

1 comment:

Mari said...

Hi Pastor Heidi,
There have been quite a few times in my life that I experienced unexpected joy. Sure I'm generally a very happy contented soul, but there are those times when unexpected and unfounded joy overwhelmes me to the point of stopping whatever I'm doing and just feel the emotion. The funny thing is, the logical side of me has to try to analize it, where did it come from, how did I get to this level, and how can I get it back again. I never truly have any answers for it, so I just let it be, and believe that for that short moment in time, the Holy Spirit has decided to spend some up close and personal time with me that day...and it fills my heart with even more joy than at the start.