Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The (Almost) Summer Day

Oh...it is so beautiful outside. I can hardly believe sometimes how lovely nature can be.

It made me remember one of my favorite poems, "The Summer Day" by Mary Oliver. At the end she asks a question "What will you do with your one wild and precious life?" So...? How will you answer that question today?

Last night we did Lectio Divina (reading a scripture through 3 times, each time listening for something different the Spirit is saying to us). I love this time. It's holy. And last night we read Psalm 27, which is FILLED with words that are true and beautiful..."The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?...I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." As I sat and heard these words over and over again, I could still feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. We can pray in so many ways. I just had to share these with you.

The Summer Day
Mary Oliver

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

Psalm 27
1The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
2When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh— my adversaries and foes— they shall stumble and fall.
3Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident.
4One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.
5For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock.
6Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
7Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!
8“Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!” Your face, Lord, do I seek.
9Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation!
10If my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will take me up.
11Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies.
12Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence.
13I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
14Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

2 comments:

Erik Berg said...

To me, the marvelous beauty of nature is a genuine reflection of the goodness of God. It is true that God works through people, but surely through nature as well. Each day I simply must open my eyes and He is there, as He is when I close my eyes at night. Today I choose to embrace this wild and precious life, and marvel at it's beauty and the people in it. Thank you God, and Pastor Heidi, for all you are and do.

Anonymous said...

As I reflect on your postings, I realize that there is more to life than just work. I'm sitting on my deck porch, typing on my laptop, listing to the frogs, birds - and all the other nature sounds. Then nature is interrupted by the passing of a loud motorcycle, over a mile away. (Sound travels when it is peaceful). How wonderful a creation we live in - one where we can experience joy, pain, laughter, sadness and a calming sense of security knowing that we are saved by an all-knowing and just God. I also thank God for the gift of a bright, talented and very energetic young pastor at our church - and for the guidance, grounding, and very progressive veteran Pastor who makes things all come together. The Spirit truly works through people - and especially through inspired pastors.
-DJ