Monday, May 19, 2008

more lunch-time spying

Well most of the buds are leaves now! It is beautiful outside. I can hardly remember what winter felt like, and I don't want to for several months!

Today I was talking to Dick Duncombe, who is preaching on Thursday, May 29 when Pastor Paul, AIM Ruth and I are at the synod assembly. He is working on a sermon that talks about what we do when we are NOT in church. You know, it's easy to think if we go to church for an hour a week that is all we need to do to be a good person. But how we act the rest of the time is also important!

I went to Fiddlehead's in Cedarburg for lunch today (it's Monday, gotta eat good food so I can have a good week...right?!). In keeping with my Christmas eve sermon illustration (when I was at Panera) I will tell you what I observed. A couple of couples came in for lunch. The men went and sat down and barked at their wives while the women stood in line, ordered lunch, got napkins, cups, etc. Ugh. Not very nice. At one point one of the women said she had to use the restroom. "You can go" her husband replied. Weird. Does she need his permission?? It was all very strange.

Anyway, it just struck me how our behavior can affect other people, even when we think they are not watching. I know I have the occassional bad day, but this all got me thinking about what kind of impression I want to leave on others. Sometimes as a pastor I feel like eyes are on me all the time (even on my days off) and I don't always like that feeling. But the truth is, whether we are pastors or not we should be treating others kindly whether they are wife or strangers.

Didn't the bible say that we can entertain angels without knowing it? How would our daily lives change if we treated everyone as if they contained a piece of God and heaven within them?

No comments: