Monday, May 5, 2008

Buds

They're here! The buds on the trees!

These are some of my favorite days of the year. All of a sudden, our world changes!

When I got to work this morning, I noticed that the tree outside my window has buds. Then when I drove home for lunch I noticed that ALL the trees on 6th avenue are budding. Now, so fast, the leaves will grow and we'll enter the green season.

It is so nice out I decided to eat lunch on my porch. It was awesome. The sun was headed over to the other side of my building but there was a little sliver of light shining onto my deck chair. I put my feet in it and ate and pet Jonah and read. It was wonderful. It reminded me of what I really need in life.

Psychologist Abraham Maslow created a hierarchy of needs for humans. It's organized into a pyramid, with the most basic needs on the bottom. If those needs are not met, a person can't reach the goal of self-actualization. I don't remember all the details about what it means to be self-actualized, but I do remember hearing that a self-actualized person is not affected by the weather. If that's what it means to be self-actualized, then I don't think I want to be!

God made a beautiful world. Even though I am so glad the long, cold winter is over, I am thankful that we live in a climate that changes. It makes the spring so sweet! It reminds me that life is full of cycles. Sometimes things are green and growing. Sometimes things are barren. But they always come back around, and the Spirit (breath, wind) of God is always moving in us and blowing us on to new things.

No comments: