Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mission Trip

On Saturday I leave for a mission trip to the Boundary Waters with 14 high school students and 2 other adults. I am excited for the trip but anxious about the long drive up there! Keep us in your prayers for safety and lots of fun!

I am really looking forward to spending time with the kids and being in the beautiful setting of the North Shore (on Lake Superior). I've never been there but spending time outdoors always does good for my soul. And being away from our normal, everyday lives somehow makes it easier for us to be open to other people and more honest about what's going on inside ourselves.

I was reading an article the other day that said on our "sabbath" day, we should do the opposite of whatever we normally do. If we are busy, we should not do anything. If we are normally indoors, we should step outside. Sabbath is a break from our daily routines, a change of pace. I hope that the trip to the Boundary Waters will be a good Sabbath for everyone, that even though we will be working hard, we will be refreshed by spending our time doing something different. We spend so much time focusing on ourselves- it can be renewing to focus on others for a bit.

Have you found Sabbath time this summer? What do you do to renew your body and spirit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, there never seems to be enough "Sabbath" time in our lives. I am able to find some every time I go flying. It's peaceful and relaxing for me.

Hope you all have a great week in the outdoors. Praying for safe travel and an enjoyable, rewarding trip.
Jim

Anonymous said...

You had that good outdoor look today at the service. Jerry and I went to the Boundary Waters when we were married one year. That was 51 years ago! Hope it remains as beautiful today as it was then. We canoed to an island and stayed there for 5 days with another couple. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did then.

Jerry and Diane