Monday, April 14, 2008

monday five...moving on

1. How many times have you moved?
Oh my goodness...too many to count. When my parents were here last weekend we were looking through one of my baby photo albums...ONE album took me through 4 different houses. Eee gad. Then there was college and seminary....college: 10 moves. Seminary: 4. I also moved in with the family I nannied for. I also moved to Grafton. I hope and pray that I am DONE with moving for a good, long while.

2. What do you love and hate about moving?
I love meeting new people. I hate how long it takes to get settled...to get my things in the best place. I hate feeling like a foreigner. I hate not knowing how to get places and what the shortcuts are. I hate leaving friends behind.

3. Do you do it yourself or hire movers?
Ha, funny you should ask. I have always been a do-it-myself-with-the-help-of-family-and-friends kind of person. However, my dad is getting up there and, well, you've seen how many times I've moved! So when I was moving up to Grafton, I decided to hire movers. I felt so lucky and was sooo excited. Unfortunately, they didn't show up, causing me to say many words that I can't put in this blog. But I am blessed with some great friends and a great brother and sister-in-law who came to my rescue, helping me rent and load a U-Haul. My parents drove down from Northern Wisconsin to Chicago to help drive up here. And then lots of lovely people from Grace came to help me unload. Blessings out of a situation that at first seemed very un-blessing like!

4. Advice for surviving and thriving during a move?
Don't use "Reliance Relocation" movers.

5. Are you in the middle of any inner moves, if not outer ones?
I always feel like I'm in the middle of an inner move. Life is always changing and we are always coming from one place, heading towards another. I am always learning and growing and thinking about what the future may bring, and what I can do today to best prepare myself for it. This is not always a good thing. I need to remind myself from time to time to relax and just be. To trust God and not to think so much about everything.

No comments: