Monday, March 17, 2008

Words and Wisdom

"When they bring you to trial and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you at that time, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit." Mark 13:11

"For I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict." Luke 21:15

Words like these are what helped finally make up my mind. I had been thinking about being a pastor for many years, but I thought "Who am I to speak God's word to these people? Who am I to stand up in front of them every week and talk? Why would they listen?"

But then at a gathering of young people "considering" seminary in Nashville one June, I heard pastor and highly respected theologian Walter Bruggeman preach on these words. I realized, it is not ME that would be speaking and leading as a pastor, but God through me. If that is the case, I thought, then I can do this.

Jesus speaks these words to his disciples shortly before his betrayal and arrest. As Pastor Paul reminded us on Sunday Jesus knew these things were coming. He knew it was going to be a bumpy road (not that it had really been all that smooth for him and his disciples so far) and that he would no longer be there to lead them and try to tell them where they were going wrong. So he promises to give them the words they will need.

I have started to joke with people that I am changing my job description to "Person who says I don't know." It's true, there's a lot to learn about Grace, God, and life! We are always disciples. I don't claim to have all the answers. This can be hard sometimes as I WANT to have answers for some of the questions people ask me about life and faith.

But I always fall back on these texts. God will give me what I need. As long as I remember to pray and believe, I have to trust that the words that come from my mouth are what God wants me to say. I have to trust that God will come to each of you to give you the words and the wisdom that you need. It doesn't always happen when we want it to. But as Luke goes on to say in chapter 21, "Not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your souls."

May God be with us, giving us the right words and the trust that our endurance will bring us through into God's glory.

No comments: