Monday, March 29, 2010

Quid Pro Quo God

I read a great article this morning that Don Zank sent me. It talked about a "Quid Pro Quo" God. The idea of "If I do this....God will do this..." Also known as "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." The article is at http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/2010/marchweb-only/19-41.0.html It's title is "Love of Unimaginable Proportions."

It's an appropriate thing to ponder this Holy Week. I'm always amazed when I hear the stories of this week. I particularly love Maundy Thursday. Jesus sharing a meal, his last meal, with his disciples. Locked away in a private room. It's such a contrast to the cross and all that happens on Good Friday.

Jesus washes their feet and gives them a new commandment "Love one another as I have loved you." Love, service, sharing meals, forgiveness, sacrifice. How do we do this for one another without getting caught up in that cycle of "Quid Pro Quo"?

May God bless you this week with the ability to accept Grace and let go of a "Quid Pro Quo" image of God.

No comments: