Monday, May 11, 2009

Things Undone

"We have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done and by what we have left undone."

These words are from the Lutheran Book of Worship confession and forgiveness. I am always struck by the last phrase- "what we have left undone."

That really changed by view of sin a few years ago. Up to that point, I would usually spend the time in church trying to think of ways I had sinned by what I had done- something concrete like lying, jealousy, taking God's name in vain, etc.

But then I realized we also sin by things that we don't do- like standing by while someone is teased or lies are spread, or where justice is denied, or not caring for the least among us as if they were Jesus himself.

There are lots of ways we can do harm, just like there are lots of ways we can do good. Now I tend to think my inaction is just as important as my action in life. This has been much more of a challenge than not doing the sinful actions. It is much easier for me to stand by and watch something happen that I know is wrong than to get in the middle of it and stick myneck out there.

But then I think that Jesus did not just sit back and say nothing. He was out there, doing what needed to be done to bring God's kingdom to earth- healing the sick, telling us about God and bringing us closer to God. In fact, Jesus is the one who faced injustice and his friends sat by and watched. But God still forgave them for that. And God forgives us for things we don't do when we promise we will try not to do them again. The only way I can do that is if I know I have God's help. I pray for that every time I confess, and I pray that we will all have to courage to move from leaving things undone, to doing God's justice in the world.

"He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8

No comments: